Traditionally, monasteries have been placed in deserts, forests, or on lofty mountains, far away from the hustle, bustle, and distractions of city life. Dagom Geden Kunkyob Ling is an urban monastery, located just north of the heart of downtown Indianapolis in a revitalized historic district. Our mission is to teach the Buddha’s Dharma in a place that is accessible to large numbers of people. We celebrate the diversity of urban life and create a place of refuge and inclusion for a turbulent world. In that way, Dagom Geden Kunkyob Ling offers a quiet place to introduce and support the practice of Buddhism close to the heart of the city. You don’t have to travel a long distance to discover healing teachings that transform the mind and has the power to alleviate suffering from a chaotic world.
The listing of Herron-Morton Place in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983 helped preserve the majority of the remaining structures. New Jersey Street retains the original esplanades, and thus provides the best example of what the north half of the neighborhood once looked like.
To learn more visit the Historic Herron-Morton Place Website.
Timeline of the Herron-Morton Neighborhood in Indianapolis
Samuel Henderson, the original area landowner, was the first postmaster and first mayor of Indianapolis. By 1850 Henderson had sold his Indianapolis properties, some to the Tinker Family, and left for the California Gold Rush.
1859 ― Northern part of current neighborhood acquired for Indiana State Fairgrounds
1860 ― First State Fair held on the grounds
1861 ― Civil War induction center for Indiana volunteers and troop training named
“Camp Morton” for Governor Oliver Perry Morton
1862 ― Camp Morton becomes prisoner of war camp, hosting more than 15,000
Confederate soldiers and where 1,700 died; just north of Tinker (16th) Street become “Camp Burnside”
1865 ― Post-war State Fairgrounds expanded with vast improvements. Three businessmen purchased the old fairgrounds and divided it into 280 residential lots, renaming the area “Morton Place.” On the main streets of the new neighborhood—Delaware, Alabama and New Jersey—were esplanades, which lined the middle of those streets. Soon after, in the southern portion of the neighborhood, the Art Association selected the “Old Tinker” homestead as the site for a new art museum and school.
1873 ― Impressive exposition building designed by same architect of the Indiana State Capitol completed on 16th and Alabama Streets
1888 ― Impressionists T C. Steele, William Forsythe, and others found “Hoosier Group” of artists on location of Old Tinker homestead.
1891 ― State Fairgrounds moved to current location on the old Voss Farm; “Morton Place” residential plots developed for upscale neighborhood with distinctive architecture seen today
1902 ― Herron School of Art founded with growing art collection
1930-40s ― Great Depression and World War II homes split up into apartments, or vacated
1940-70s ― Fire, neglect, demolition further deteriorates property values
1983 ― Herron-Morton Place neighborhood listed on the National Register of Historic Places
2003 ― John Herron Art Institute building becomes esteemed Herron High School
Today ― Neighborhood revitalization continues